Man seeks wild jumbo’s blessings, trampled to deathMarch 26th, 2009 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 26 (IANS) A 70-year-old man in Chhattisgarh was trampled to death by a rampaging wild elephant after he ignored the appeals of villagers and tried to touch the animal’s feet to seek its blessings, forest officials said Thursday.
The incident took place late Wednesday in the forested village of Balpur, about 150 km from here.
“The wild elephant probably sneaked into the village from neighbouring Orissa and created terror in the Sarsiwa forested area, which includes Balpur. People ran into their houses to avoid the rampaging jumbo but Bhakla Satnami went near it,” Anil Soni, divisional forest officer, Raipur, told IANS.
“Satnami tried to touch the animal’s feet to seek its blessings and was trampled to death.”
The forest department sent a team to Sarsiwa Thursday to chase away the jumbo from residential pockets.
This is perhaps the first casualty in a jumbo attack in Raipur district though vast areas in the state’s north, comprising Surguja, Jashpur, Koria, Raigarh and Korba districts, have seen many dozens of people fall victim to the man-animal conflict over the last decade.
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Chhattisgarh village panics as jumbos run amok - Feb 18, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- Elephants kill 29 people in Chhattisgarh in 2009 - Jan 14, 2010
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: blessings, conflict, dozens, elephant, first casualty, forest department, forest officer, forest officials, forested area, korba, last decade, man animal, neighbouring, old man, orissa, pockets, raigarh, terror