Man-eater leopard caught in Uttar PradeshAugust 18th, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 18 (IANS) A man-eater leopard, which had been on the prowl for about a month in Uttar Pradesh’s Bahraich district, has been caught, forest officials said Monday. “The leopard was caught Sunday near the forest reserve in the Rampur Matheli village of the district,” Divisional Forest Officer R.K. Singh told IANS.
The leopard had attacked four people, killing one of them in Sujauli village of Bahraich, about 270 kms from here, he added. The Katarniyaghat forest reserve is situated in the area.
The leopard was trapped with the help of the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF), officials said.
“We had deployed armed guards to restrict the leopard from entering the forest reserve and several cages were installed on various routes between the forest and the village,” said Singh.
“As the leopard had evaded us many times before, this time we used a goat as a bait to trap it,” he added.
Meanwhile, forest officials in Lakhimpur Kheri district, where the Dudhwa national park is located, are afraid floods could drive leopards to target residential colonies in search of food.
“The flood in the area has affected the leopards’ natural habitat. As a result, they tend to move out of the forests in search of prey,” said Divisional Forest Officer (North Kheri) K.K. Singh.
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Leopard kills girl - Oct 25, 2011
- Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trapped - Apr 25, 2012
- Two killed in Uttar Pradesh leopard attacks - Aug 12, 2008
- Another human killed by big cat in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2010
- Two injured in leopard attack - Sep 22, 2011
- Tigress kills teenager in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 03, 2011
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- Poacher nabbed in Uttar Pradesh, leopard carcass seized - Dec 28, 2010
- After tiger kills man, Uttar Pradesh villagers threaten forest staff - Feb 19, 2009
- Man-eating leopard trapped in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 27, 2008
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
- Leopard kills boy in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 27, 2010
- Leopard kills 7-year-old boy in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 02, 2010