Malafide protests against Jaitapur will not be tolerated: Narayan RaneJanuary 21st, 2011 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Ratnagiri (Maharashtra), Jan 21 (IANS) Agitations with malafide intentions against the Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project (JNPP) will not be tolerated, Maharashtra Industry Minister Narayan Rane warned Friday.Addressing a meeting of Congress party workers here, Rane said the state government had given a hearing to the protestors this week and sought their views and suggestions to the proposed project coming up with French collaboration.
“You have protested and we listened to you. But if you come here with wrong intentions, we shall not tolerate it and allow you to spoil the situation,” Rane declared.
Rane was referring to the open house hosted by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to discuss the 9,900 MW JNPP coming up with French collaboration in Ratnagiri, which was discussed by a large section of groups and opponents.
Experts and officials had sought to allay fears of locals over the project and assured that JNPP would ensure speedier development of the coastal Konkan region besides improving the power scenario in the state.
Chavan had offered to go to Jaitapur and speak to the locals and get their views and opinions on the project.
Rane’s statement assumes significance as his bête-noire, the Shiv Sena is also opposing the project and supporting the anti-JNPP groups.
Earlier last month, protestors and groups from the region had called on Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray in Mumbai.
Rane subsequently offered to shoulder the responsibility of ensuring smooth passage to the implementation of the JNPP which falls in his stronghold, Konkan.
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Chavan has taken contract for Jaitapur project: Uddhav - Apr 29, 2011
- Anti-nuke groups, Shiv Sena abort pro-Jaitpur meeting - Feb 26, 2012
- Jaitapur nuclear power project discussed by Manmohan Singh and Chavan - Apr 26, 2011
- Sack Rane for threatening anti-nuke activists: Maharashtra party - Jan 23, 2011
- Prove bribery allegation or quit, Bal Thackeray dares Chavan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chavan discusses Jaitapur issue with Uddhav Thackeray - Mar 04, 2011
- Farmers bid to 're-capture' Jaitapur lands foiled - Jun 13, 2012
- Anti-Jaitapur activists allege Rane disrupted their protest - Jul 11, 2011
- Ratnagiri burns, but Uddhav Thackeray missing from action - Apr 19, 2011
- Anti-nuke activists plan 'jail bharo' - Jan 12, 2012
- RLDF slams Shiv Sena for violence in anti-Jaitapur protests - Apr 22, 2011
- Jaitapur will be implemented, declares Jairam Ramesh - Apr 15, 2011
- Shiv Sena threatens to oppose Jaitapur n-project - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,