Major quake rattles Sumatra, tsunami alert in India (Second Lead)April 11th, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Hong Kong, April 11 (IANS) Many states along India’s east coast felt tremors as a high intensity earthquake rocked Sumatra Wednesday, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said. A tsunami warning has been issued in India and 27 other countries
While the IMD put its intensity at 8.5 on the Richter scale, the US Geological Survey classified it an 8.9 temblor, whose epicentre was at a depth of 33 km.
The earthquake had its epicentre off the west coast of northern Sumatra and occurred at 2.08 p.m., the IMD said.
There have been no reports so far of loss of life or property in India or elsewhere.
The IMD also said that shocks were felt along the eastern part of Indian and a tsunami alert had been issued along the eastern coast by the Indian National Tsunami Early Warning System (Incois).
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued the tsunami watch for 28 places, including Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Myanmar, Thailand, Maldives, Britain, Malaysia, Mauritius, Syechelles, Pakistan, Somalia, Oman, Madagascar, Iran, UAE, Yemen, Bangladesh, Tanzania, Mozambique, Kenya, South Africa and Singapore.
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Major earthquake rocks Sumatra, tsunami alert in India (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami alert following Indonesia quake - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata, Metro services halted - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata: Metro services halted, buildings develop cracks (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- NDMA rules out tsunami threat to India - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong tremors in Chennai - Apr 11, 2012
- India to join exercise to re-enact Indian Ocean tsunami - Oct 07, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues tsunami warning after Indonesian quake (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Mild quake in UP, aftershocks in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: early warning system, epicentre, high intensity, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, New Delhi, northern sumatra, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning centre, property in india, richter scale, shocks, sumatra tsunami, syechelles, temblor, tremors, tsunami alert, tsunami early warning system, tsunami warning centre, us geological survey