Major earthquake shakes FijiNovember 9th, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by BNO News
SUVA, FIJI (BNO NEWS) — A major but deep earthquake shook the Fiji Islands on Monday evening, according to seismologists.
The epicenter of the tremor was located about 67 miles from Fiji’s capital, Suva. No strong damage is expected as the earthquake struck about 357 miles deep, making it an extremely deep earthquake. Shallow earthquakes often tend to cause more serious damage, and increase the risk of a destructive tsunami.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reported the earthquake as a 7.1 magnitude.
No tsunami warnings were issued following the earthquake, which struck at 10.45 p.m. local time. “A destructive tsunami was not generated based on depth of earthquake,” a bulletin from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center read.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Solomon Islands, no tsunami alert - Apr 23, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: capital suva, earthquake, epicenter, fiji islands, local time, magnitude, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, risk, shallow earthquakes, suva fiji, tremor, tsunami, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings