Mahatma Gandhi had water-harvesting facility at homeSeptember 19th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) Long before the environmentalists and the government advocated water harvesting to fight water scarcity, Mahatama Gandhi had installed a facility to harvest water at his ancestral house in Porbandar in Gujarat. “Gandhiji was a visionary. Long before any one thought of it, Gandhiji had installed water-harvesting facility at his Porbandar house,” Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said here Friday.
“Anyone going to visit his house must go to the backyard and see the facility. The house has an underground water collection tank and there was a mechanism to allow all rainwater falling in the house to go into that tank,” Modi said.
“The family was using it throughout the year,” Modi added.
The chief minister was here to inaugurate a climate change workshop for Gujarat bureaucrats organised by The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI).
“Some rural households in Kutch have similar facilities now. I would request TERI to spread the message of Gandhiji and create awareness among people about water harvesting,” Modi said.
“As a state with over 1,400 km coastline, we take climate change as a serious issue and have initiated many schemes to counter its threat,” he said.
The chief minister also said that the state government will soon ask all its builders to install water-harvesting facility before building any complex.
- Asia's largest solar park functional in Gujarat - Apr 19, 2012
- Chandigarh gets serious about harvesting rainwater - Nov 09, 2010
- HCC among 10 global companies for green initiative - Jun 20, 2012
- Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in Kutch - Apr 09, 2011
- British-era harvesting wells still working in Shimla - Mar 22, 2011
- Modi's bureaucrats learn about climate change - Sep 19, 2008
- Gadkari denies comparing Narendra Modi with Mahatma Gandhi - Jan 31, 2010
- Anil Ambani commits $11 bn investment in Gujarat - Jan 12, 2011
- Kalam to release Modi's book on climate change - Dec 20, 2010
- Top Gujarat Congress leaders slam Modi, announce satyagraha - Sep 15, 2011
- Rainwater tanks among I-Day sops in Himachal - Aug 15, 2011
- Symposium on earthquake sciences inaugurated - Jan 22, 2011
- Modi to lay foundation stone of Kutch canal works - Apr 08, 2011
- Gadkari draws parallel between Mahatma Gandhi, Modi - Jan 31, 2010
- Badal takes up cause of Punjabi farmers in Gujarat - Sep 04, 2012