Maharashtra to encourage ‘green’ industrial projectsFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 3 (IANS) The Maharashtra government is taking measures to boost green and environment friendly industrial projects in the state to protect the environment, an official said Friday.
“Projects with an environment dimension to them would be given preference in terms of expedited government clearance and other non-financial benefits,” said state Environment Secretary Valsa Nair-Singh.
Addressing a conference on Green Co - The Next Wave for Sustaining Growth, organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), she noted that the central government will be funding state governments based on Environment Protection Index, constituted by the Planning Commission, subject to the state government spending 2 percent of the funds on environment-related activities.
In addition to promoting eco-friendly industrial and other construction projects, she said the state government provides funds to foster research in environment protection and sponsors M.Phil and PhD candidates.
CII Maharashtra state council chairperson, Leena Nair of Hindustan Unilever Ltd reiterated the need to focus on maintaining inter-generational equity.
“Our resource consumption should not add burden to our next generation. If we consume at the rate we are doing, we need five planets to sustain over the next 100 years,” Nair said.
She informed that the CII has been driving several initiatives in the area of green buildings and climate change and developed a Code for Ecologically Sustainable Business Growth, which has attracted voluntary commitment from 450 organisations.
- Maharashtra considers more incentives to green buildings - Apr 08, 2011
- Green tribunal stops Himachal hydropower project - Jul 29, 2011
- Posco, industry welcome conditional nod to Orissa project - Jan 31, 2011
- ITC, Bangalore airport get GreenCo awards - Jun 15, 2012
- Fruits of growing Indian economy not being enjoyed by all: Mukherjee - Apr 08, 2011
- Bengal should impose 'green cess' on electricity: Expert - Nov 21, 2011
- Kerala seeks approval for Rs.53,825 crore infrastructure project - Aug 20, 2012
- Green court questions government on Jaitapur n-plant - Sep 29, 2011
- Eco-Products International Fair 2011 commences on Thursday - Feb 09, 2011
- Economy, environment should go hand-in-hand: Jairam - Jun 03, 2011
- Green rating assessment scheme for Goa demanded - Oct 01, 2011
- Environment not a cost or obligation but intrinsic to business and growth: Jairam Ramesh - Apr 09, 2011
- Where is environment in Bengal poll campaign, ask green activists - Mar 18, 2011
- Raise depreciation rate to boost investment: CII - Feb 26, 2012
- Himachal to be carbon neutral by 2020: Dhumal - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,