Lion used for debt recovery seized in ColombiaMarch 15th, 2009 - 4:11 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, March 15 (IANS) A lion used by an ex-militia chief to threaten people for the recovery of old debts was seized from a cattle farm in northwestern Colombia, EFE reported.
The local residents claim that the big cat was used by Mario Jimenez’s men to threaten people to pay up their old debts.
In a crackdown on drug traffickers Friday, the Colombian police seized the big cat and various other assets owned by the ex-militias in northwestern Antioquia and Cordoba provinces, the report said Saturday.
Jimenez was extradited to the US in May 2008 to face trial on various charges, including drug trafficking, money laundering and terrorism.
Colombia’s ex-militia men were once used by the government to fight the country’s largest leftist guerilla group the Revoloutionary Armed Froces of Colombia (FARC).
Several of the ex-militias later joined the illegal drug trade after the authorities disbanded the group under a government rehabilitation scheme.
Police chief General Oscar Naranjo said some 2,000 security personnel were deployed in the areas for the latest operation. Seventy people involved in the drug trade were arrested and around 1,176 hectares of coca plants were destroyed in the operation, he said.
Properties worth millions of pesos were seized in the raids, the police said in a statement.
- Colombia's most wanted drug trafficker arrested - Apr 16, 2009
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- 25 drug cartel members held in Colombia - Jan 20, 2009
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010
- Colombian teens get death threats on Facebook - Aug 25, 2010
- Over 1,000 landmines found in Colombia - May 26, 2010
- Use of children to transport drugs increasing in Colombia - Dec 28, 2010
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Eight killed in Colombia shooting - Jul 03, 2010
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
- Ten FARC members killed in army operation in southwestern Colombia - Mar 25, 2011
- Colombian police seize two tonnes of cocaine - Oct 14, 2009
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: antioquia, big cat, cattle farm, chief general, coca plants, colombian police, crackdown, debt recovery, drug traffickers, drug trafficking, efe, farc, guerilla, illegal drug trade, militia men, militias, money laundering, naranjo, northwestern colombia, security personnel