Light rain makes Delhi weather pleasant (Lead)June 5th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Reeling under a torrid summer, residents of Delhi Tuesday heaved a sigh of relief when light rain and squall hit the capital in the afternoon, turning the hot day pleasant.
A rainfall of 12 mm was recorded and the maximum temperature settled a notch above average at 40.8 degrees Celsius.
For the past one week, the maximum temperature was hovering above 40 degrees.
“Weather has become lovely. I’ll certainly go for a drive when it gets a bit dark,” said Rohit Ahuja of Saket in south Delhi. “It’s a relief to the eyes. Everything looks green.”
The minimum temperature was recorded two notches above average at 29.5 degrees Celsius, while the humidity was between 56 and 36 percent.
“I hope this weather continues for the next couple of day,” said Pallavi Singh of East of Kailash.
However, due to the strong wind, the wall of a mosque collapsed in Rohini in north Delhi, injuring a woman.
The rain caused no traffic snarl. However, the road near Zakhira flyover in west Delhi was flooded.
According to the India Meteorological Department, excessive moisture caused the rain. The change in weather had no link to an early onset of the monsoon, it said.
The sky will be partly cloudy Wednesday and light rain is expected in some parts of the capital.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover between 40 and 27 degrees Celsius.
- Hot Saturday in Delhi, mercury to rise further Sunday (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Hot Wednesday in Delhi, mercury to rise further (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Hot, sunny Sunday in Delhi, rains expected Monday (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, rain expected - Apr 14, 2012
- Muggy Wednesday, no rain likely till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected - Apr 13, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Cloudy Sunday in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Dust storm brings mercury down in Delhi (Second Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Hot day for Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 02, 2012
- Hot, humid Saturday in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Warm day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Unrelenting heat in Delhi, no respite Friday (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Hot, cloudy day for Delhi - Sep 11, 2012
- Delhi sees season's hottest day, rain likely Friday (Lead) - May 10, 2012
Tags: ahuja, excessive moisture, flyover, hot day, india meteorological department, light rain, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, north delhi, notches, pallavi, rohini, saket, sigh of relief, south delhi, squall, strong wind, summer residents, west delhi