Life hit as heavy rains lash HyderabadAugust 17th, 2010 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 17 (IANS) Heavy rains lashed Hyderabad Tuesday evening, throwing normal life out of gear and inundating dozens of low-lying colonies.
The season’s highest rainfall so far brought vehicular traffic to a grinding halt across the city, causing huge jams. The storm water drains were overflowing while Hussainsagar Lake in the heart of the city was receiving huge inflows.
According to met department officials, the city received eight cm rainfall in two hours.
People returning home from offices and work places were caught in traffic jams as the incessant rains flooded roads. All major roads including in Punjagutta, Ameerpet, Banjara Hills, Himayatnagar and Dilsukhnagar were inundated paralysing vehicular traffic.
Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) personnel were having a tough time in draining water from roads.
Water entered the houses in low-lying areas of RTC Cross Roads, Ramnagar, Moosarambagh, L.B. Nagar, Nagole, Malakpet, Chintalbasti, Green Park and Kavadiguda areas.
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad, many colonies submerged (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Hyderabad, inundate low-lying areas - Aug 20, 2009
- Rains hit hard Delhi, roads flooded (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- 17 killed as rains create havoc in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 36 killed in heavy rains in eastern Uttar Pradesh - Sep 26, 2011
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad - Jul 21, 2012
- Heavy rains cause traffic snarls, power breakdowns in Agra - Jul 10, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Delhi lashed by heavy rains; road, rail traffic hit - Sep 12, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt normal life - Jun 28, 2012
- 10 die in Jaipur of rain-triggered disasters (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: colonies, cross roads, department officials, dozens, draining water, green park, grinding halt, heart of the city, heavy rains, incessant rains, rainfall, ramnagar, returning home, rtc, storm water drains, traffic jams, tuesday evening, vehicular traffic