Leopard strays into village, beaten to deathJune 4th, 2009 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 4 (IANS) A leopard was beaten to death in Uttar Pradesh after it strayed into a village from the neighbouring Kataraniya Ghat wildlife reserve and mauled a man, police said.
“The leopard had attacked 40-year-old Kallu while he was asleep in his home in Ghosiayana Chahelva village on the fringes of the wildlife reserve that is an extension of the famous Dudhwa National Park,” a policeman told IANS on phone. The incident took place Tuesday night in Bahraich district, 115 km from Lucknow.
“Kallu’s screams attracted the attention of other family members, whose cries in turn prompted neighbours to rush in with wooden sticks, iron rods and other weapons they could lay their hands on. They attacked the animal, who had mauled Kallu by then.”
As the leopard tried to escape into the forest, an blow on its head with an iron rod brought it down following which the mob hammered blow after blow on the animal. The leopard succumbed to its injuries.
A three-member panel of veterinary surgeons carried out an autopsy Wednesday morning. Kallu was admitted to the Bahraich district hospital where he is stated to be out of danger.
Uttar Pradesh’s principal chief wildlife conservator told IANS: “Our field officials have registered a case against unnamed villagers and the matter is being investigated. However, preliminary inquiries indicate the villagers acted in self defence.”
- Two leopard cubs clubbed to death - Mar 13, 2011
- Woman mauled, killed by leopard - Mar 12, 2011
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Leopard cub found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2011
- Leopard kills boy in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 27, 2010
- Leopard kills girl - Oct 25, 2011
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
- Leopard found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 27, 2011
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Another human killed by big cat in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2010
- Leopard mauls 11 people, killed by villagers - Mar 25, 2011
- Villagers vent leopard attack ire on forest officials - Apr 09, 2011
- 2 youths arrested for killing leopard in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 26, 2009
- Two injured in leopard attack - Sep 22, 2011
- Leopard's carcass found in Uttar Pradesh forest - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: autopsy, dudhwa national park, field officials, fringes, iron rod, iron rods, kallu, man police, member panel, mob, neighbouring, neighbours, policeman, self defence, strays, tuesday night, veterinary surgeons, wednesday morning, wildlife reserve, wooden sticks