Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini’s bungalowMay 27th, 2011 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 27 (IANS) Hema Malini had a strange fan early Friday when a leopard strayed into her bungalow in Dindoshi area of northwest Mumbai, creating panic among the local residents, an official said.
The leopard, believed to have come from the adjoining Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) area, was spotted by a security guard in the premises early Friday.
The Bollywood actor was not at home at the time of the incident.
The locals immediately alerted the SGNP authorities who sent a team equipped with tranquilisers and a cage to trap the large wild cat, the official said.
“We have dispatched a team of forest officials to the site and they are making arrangements to catch the leopard. We hope to capture it soon,” S. A. Thorat, SGNP Chief Conservator of Forests told IANS.
The SGNP, spread over around 100 square kms in northwest Mumbai, has over five dozen leopards and many other wild animals living in its thick forests.
Leopards often stray into the sprawling housing complexes, the Film City, the Aarey Milk Colony, Dahisar, Borivli, Kandivli, Malad, Goregaon and other western suburbs and Mulund and Bhandup on the eastern side.
There have been many instances of leopards getting killed while chasing prey by speeding vehicles on the Western Express and Eastern Express highways.
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Hema Malini to take up the cause of leopards - Jun 20, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini bungalow, vanishes (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Advani's yatra comes to Mumbai Nov 4 - Oct 31, 2011
- Minor girl killed by leopard in Mumbai suburb - Jul 16, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Leopard 'evicted' from Mumbai school after 20 hrs - Apr 22, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Mumbai cop 'catches' a python! - Oct 21, 2009
- Some prominent winners in Maharashtra - Oct 22, 2009
Tags: bhandup, bollywood actor, chief conservator, eastern express, film city, forest officials, goregaon, hema malini, leopards, mulund, sanjay gandhi national park, square kms, strange fan, thick forests, thorat, tranquilisers, western express, western suburbs, wild animals, wild cat