Leopard eats own cub in Orissa zooFebruary 27th, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 27 (IANS) A leopard ate her own cub in an enclosure of the Nandankanan Zoo in Orissa, hampering the captive breeding efforts of the zoo authorities, an official said Saturday.
“We have recovered the severed head of the leopard cub from the enclosure. The mother leopard has eaten the young leopard,” the official said.
Two cubs were born to zoo leopards Barsha and Suraj last Sunday. But one died as the “mother did not accept it” while the other was eaten up by the mother, officials said.
No leopard cubs have been successfully bred in the zoo since 1984.
Nandankanan Zoological Park in the outskirts of state capital Bhubaneswar houses 98 species in a 3.62 sq km area.
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Orissa zoo celebrates tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 20, 2009
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Odisha orders probe into five tiger cubs' death - Nov 21, 2011
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Orissa investigators in Haryana to trace stolen macaws - Mar 31, 2010
- Orissa zoo to celebrate tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 19, 2009
- White tiger succumbs to tumor at Nandankanan zoo - Jan 23, 2012
- Orissa zoo gears up for birth of chimpanzee - Oct 12, 2009
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011