Land acquisition for Posco project soon: OrissaJanuary 31st, 2011 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 31 (IANS) The Orissa government Monday welcomed the environment ministry’s conditional nod for South Korean steel major Posco’s $12 billion project in the state and said it would soon begin acquiring land for the same.”Although it (the approval) came late, we welcome the decision. The Posco project is important not only for Orissa but also for the whole country as it will provide employment and boost economic activities,” state Steel and Mines Minister Raghunath Mohanty told IANS.
“We will begin the land acquisition process as soon as possible,” he said.
The environment ministry gave conditional clearance to Posco’s project in Orissa, the biggest foreign direct investment in the country.
Posco is an integrated steel, mining and port project and separate clearances had to be given to all three. It also comprises a captive power plant to provide electricity to the steel plant.
Thousands of villagers have been opposing the project, saying it will displace them from their homelands and ruin their betel leaf farms.
The environment ministry earlier put the entire project on hold, citing violations of environment and forest laws by the company.
- Posco's $12 bn Orissa project gets conditional nod (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Patnaik welcomes clearance for Posco project - Jan 31, 2011
- Conditional nod to Posco project in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Thousands of Orissa villagers rally against Posco nod - Feb 01, 2011
- Posco welcomes conditional nod for Orissa project - Jan 31, 2011
- Conditional clearance to Posco hardly a relief: environmentalists - Jan 31, 2011
- Anti-displacement group protests nod to POSCO - Jan 31, 2011
- Green tribunal scraps Posco's $12bn Odisha project (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Posco, industry welcome conditional nod to Orissa project - Jan 31, 2011
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- BJP demands CBI probe in Posco approval - Jan 31, 2011
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Environmental panel seeks more information on POSCO - Nov 30, 2010
- Villagers protest Orissa plan to renew POSCO pact (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Orissa to renew MoU with POSCO - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: betel leaf, bhubaneswar, captive power plant, conditional nod, economic activities, electricity, entire project, foreign direct investment, forest laws, homelands, integrated steel, land acquisition, mohanty, orissa government, plant thousands, posco, raghunath, south korean, steel plant