Kudankulam row: Atomic panel head to meet state officialsNovember 3rd, 2011 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 3 (IANS) Top officials of the Indian nuclear establishment will meet Tamil Nadu officials Friday to discuss ways to allay the fears of villagers in Tirunelveli district who are opposing the Kundankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP).
Sources told IANS that Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman Srikumar Banerjee and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) chairman and managing director S.K.Jain will meet the state’s Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi.
India’s nuclear power plant operator NPCIL is building two 1,000 MW nuclear power reactors with Russian technology and equipment in Kudankulam, around 650 km from here. The first unit is expected to go on stream in December. The project is estimated to cost around Rs.13,160 crore.
Villagers say they fear for their lives and safety in case of any nuclear accident and the long-term impact it would have on the population.
The project work has come to a standstill since last month as the agitators intensified their protest by blocking the roads leading to the nuclear power project site, and the local administration has advised the KNPP staff to sit tight inside their homes, fearing violence.
- Atomic energy officials hold talks on Kudankulam n-plant - Nov 04, 2011
- Expert panel on Kudankulam to meet protestors - Feb 17, 2012
- AERB clears fuel loading in Kudankulam nuclear reactor - Aug 10, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters demand white paper - Nov 12, 2011
- Kudankulam's first unit to be ready for fuel loading soon: NPCIL - Mar 19, 2012
- Kudankulam parties welcome Jayalalithaa's announcement - Feb 04, 2012
- Kudankulam: Aide hopeful Kalam plan will bring peace - Nov 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gives hope to Nuclear Power Corp on Kudankulam - Jan 23, 2012
- Answers being prepared about Kudankulam n-plant - Nov 10, 2011
- Kudankulam protesters to resume struggle Tuesday - Oct 17, 2011
- Kudankulam officials to attend power sector meeting Thursday - Mar 22, 2012
- Kudankulam row: Expert panels to meet Tuesday - Nov 07, 2011
- Kudankulam: Central panel deliberates in detail - Nov 16, 2011
- Kalam visits Kudankulam plant, says its safe - Nov 06, 2011
- Anti-Kudankulam nuclear project team to meet PM - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: agitators, atomic energy commission, banerjee, chief secretary, india ltd, local administration, npcil, nuclear accident, nuclear establishment, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power plant, nuclear power project, nuclear power reactors, power plant operator, russian technology, s k jain, sarangi, srikumar, standstill, term impact