Kolkata zoo to get kangaroosMay 19th, 2011 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 19 (IANS) Two pairs of kangaroos, the Australian national animal, will be housed soon in Alipore Zoological Garden here, a West Bengal forest official said.
The four kangaroos will be brought from a Czech Republic zoo under an inter-zoo exchange programme, he said.
“We were informed that some zoos in Europe have successfully carried out kangaroo breeding programme and have spares for exchange so we approached them. Later we got the clearance from the national zoo authority and also from the state government and we now are in the process of arranging the transportation of the kangaroos,” said Raju Das, director of Alipore Zoological Garden.
The kangaroos will be arriving here possibly by May-end, he said.
A separate enclosure has already been made for them in the zoo.
Some thirty years back kangaroos were housed in Alipore zoo, but they could not survive for long.
“This time we are hopeful that the special breed of kangaroos would be able to adapt to the environment. The kangaroos would be kept under special observation for 10 days before they are relocated in the zoo,” said Das.
- West Bengal sets up new zoo authority - Oct 30, 2010
- Bengal to set up rescue centres for stray jumbos - Mar 27, 2012
- Three new leopards in Alipore zoo - Dec 27, 2010
- Alipore Zoo's 60 spotted deer to be sent to Sunderban Park - Aug 07, 2010
- Chimpanzee dies in Alipore zoo - Jun 26, 2010
- Zoo gears up for monsoon season in Bihar - Jul 29, 2010
- Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur's Tata Zoological Park - Dec 11, 2010
- Eight rare simians stolen from a Kolkata zoo - Aug 10, 2009
- Bihar, Tripura zoos to exchange rare animals - Jun 13, 2010
- Two arrested for theft of rare monkeys from West Bengal zoo - Aug 10, 2009
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Polar bear dies from zebra virus - Aug 18, 2012
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- Leopard eats own cub in Orissa zoo - Feb 27, 2010