Kochi civic body makes it real tough for litter-bugsJune 17th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, June 17 (IANS) Residents in the Kochi Municipal Corporation area of Ernakulam district risk paying out a fine of Rs.10,000 if they are caught throwing garbage on the street.
The new law came into effect Tuesday after the district administration held detailed discussions with various departments including the police and the municipal corporation of Kochi.
Speaking to IANS, Ernakulam’s additional district magistrate C.V.Sajan said that soon 16 secret cameras would be placed at various places to track the law breakers.
“We intend to move these cameras from place to place so that the entire Kochi corporation area is covered. Yesterday itself we caught two vehicles that were dumping waste, and they have been penalized,” said Sajan.
Speaking to IANS, Kochi mayor Mercy Williams said that the success of the plan depends on when those who are found violating the new law are apprehended.
“The prohibitive fine could well be a deterrent because right now we have put the fine for the violators at Rs.250 only. Getting hold of the violators is going to be a tough task and we expect the closed circuit cameras to do the trick,” said Williams.
The commercial capital of the state, Kochi is facing a tough problem as close to 300 tonnes of waste is being generated in the city every day.
–Indo- Asian News Service
- Agra outsources door-to-door garbage collection to private firm (Lead) - Dec 28, 2010
- Agra to embark on 'door to door collection' of garbage - Dec 28, 2010
- Whistleblowers with a difference - on 'clean Shimla' mission (Letter from Shimla) - Aug 14, 2012
- A showpiece city struggles to remain clean (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 17, 2012
- Parents of Kerala nurses seek better wages for children - Jan 04, 2012
- Beware of cameras while smoking in Shanghai - Jul 28, 2012
- Taj city eco-activists march against polythene - Nov 20, 2011
- Clashes at Kerala-Tamil Nadu border post over Mullaperiyar - Dec 06, 2011
- Chandigarh's garbage plant raises a stink - Sep 30, 2011
- Lake Naini polluted by garbage, sewerage water - Jul 17, 2010
- Britain to relax fines on garbage handling - Jan 16, 2012
- Much garbage to remove from Ramlila ground in little time - Aug 28, 2011
- One year on, Kerala's Student Police Cadet already a success - Aug 01, 2011
- Delhi government, DDA, MCD get contempt of court notice - Nov 24, 2011
- Controversy over dress circular to Kerala teachers - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: asian news, bugs, civic body, closed circuit cameras, district administration, district magistrate, garbage, indo, kochi corporation, law breakers, news service, risk, rs 250, sajan, samini, secret cameras, sg, tonnes, violators