Kerala Tourism sweeps PATA travel awardsFebruary 4th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) Kerala Tourism walked away with four of the top honours at the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Awards 2011 for outstanding achievement.The awards were announced in Bangkok Thursday.
Kerala Tourism’s new global campaign film “Your Moment is Waiting” bagged three PATA Gold awards.
Kerala, the only Indian state to figure in the PATA awards this year, also picked up one of the four PATA Grand awards in the environment category for its “responsible tourism” efforts in Kumarakom.
Kerala Tourism won three Gold awards making it the largest haul ever by a state government in the history of the PATA awards, a statement issued by the department said Friday.
Prominent Kerala resort chain CGH Earth won the PATA Gold award in the corporate environmental programme category for best eco-friendly practices.
Kerala Tourism Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said: “The Grand award puts an even greater responsibility on us to ensure that the achievements of responsible tourism in Kumarakom are sustained and taken to the next level to create a replicable model in tourism practices.
“The three awards for “Your Moment is Waiting” signify the creative edge, which our marketing campaigns have been acclaimed for. But this is the first time that Kerala has won four international awards of significance. We are very proud of it.”
Kerala Tourism Secretary V. Venu said this is an unprecedented honour.
“It is a recognition of the hard work by Kerala Tourism, its department, associates and its agencies in managing the Kerala brand and devising an innovative marketing strategy,” he said.
Launched in September 2008, the “responsible tourism” programme was the first such initiative by a tourism board in India. Under the project, ordinary people of Kumarakom worked with industry representatives like hotels and resorts, tour operators, travel agents, home-stay operators and souvenir shop owners, NGOs and government agencies to protect the environment in the high-profile destination.
- India bags international tourism awards - Sep 17, 2010
- Kerala Tourism wins PATA Gold award for best website - Jul 29, 2010
- Kerala wins advertisement award in Prague - Apr 29, 2012
- Responsible tourism: Kerala involves local communities (With Image) - Sep 08, 2010
- Kerala Tourism tapping more domestic market - Sep 09, 2010
- Bekal is destination next in 'God's Own Country' - May 10, 2012
- With surplus rooms after Games, homestay tourism gets a boost - Nov 21, 2010
- Kerala pavilion wins award at London travel mart - Nov 10, 2011
- Tech in tourism is PATA focus in 2011 - Sep 07, 2011
- Sup with tribals, explore wilderness - northeast beckons (With Images) - May 17, 2011
- India's top family-friendly hotels revealed - Mar 16, 2011
- Kerala Tourism wins international, national awards - Aug 03, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh bags best tourism award - Feb 29, 2012
- Kerala Tourism promo wins prestigious award - May 12, 2011
- Kerala woos tourists from Scandinavian countries - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: balakrishnan, cgh earth, creative edge, environment category, global campaign, gold awards, grand awards, home stay, innovative marketing, international awards, marketing campaigns, pacific asia travel, pacific asia travel association, replicable model, responsible tourism, souvenir shop, tourism board, tourism efforts, tourism minister, tourism secretary