Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10February 10th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 10 (IANS) The north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg witnessed its coldest night of the season with a low of minus 10 degrees Celsius while the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway remained open for two-way traffic Thursday.”The minimum temperature in south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station fell to minus 6.7 degrees, it was 1.4 degrees in Srinagar, 8.2 in Jammu, and it was minus 4.4 degrees in Leh town of Ladakh region,” a Met department official said.
“Light rain and snow is likely to occur at many places in the valley during the next 24 hours (until Friday),” the official said.
Meanwhile, vehicles were allowed to move from both Srinagar and Jammu on the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway, traffic officials said here.
The over 300-km long highway is the valley’s only road link to the rest of the country and all the essential supplies to the valley are routed through this road. The other road link, through the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal ranges of Himachal Pradesh, closes with the onset of winter and heavy snows.
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- Sun shines bright on Kashmir after rain, snow - Feb 08, 2011
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Freezing winter continues in Kashmir Valley - Jan 23, 2011
- Srinagar's night temperature rises above freezing point - Feb 03, 2012
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Heavy snowfall halts life in Kashmir Valley - Jan 15, 2011
- Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likely - Jan 28, 2011
- Leh in deep freeze at minus 20 degrees, Srinagar at minus 4.6 - Jan 24, 2011
- Chilly winds add to bitter cold in Kashmir - Jan 17, 2011
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Harsh cold in Kashmir, Leh is minus 23.6 degrees - Jan 02, 2011
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Heavy snowfall lashes Kashmir - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: celsius, kashmir, light rain, minimum temperature, national highway traffic, north kashmir, onset of winter, pahalgam, pir panjal, rain and snow, rohtang pass, shivers, ski resort, south kashmir, traffic officials