Japan’s Fukushima crisis was man-made, says parliamentJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, July 5 (IANS) A Japanese parliamentary panel said in a report Thursday that last year’s crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant was “a man-made disaster”, RIA Novosti reported.
The March 2011 accident “could not be regarded as a natural disaster”, the Diet’s Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission said.
“It was a profoundly man-made disaster - that could and should have been foreseen and prevented,” the report said.
The panel, established in May 2011, said the government and the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), failed to provide adequate prevention and “lacked a sense of responsibility to protect people’s lives”.
Some of the plant’s reactors melted down after a tsunami and magnitude-9 earthquake wrecked its cooling systems.
Thousands of people were evacuated from a no-go zone around the stricken plant.
Numerous errors and negligence left the plant in “a vulnerable condition with no guarantee it could withstand earthquakes and tsunamis”, the panel’s 600-page report said.
- Over 30 years needed to decommission Fukushima plant: Report - Oct 28, 2011
- Expert groups to probe Fukushima n-plant disaster again - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Japan was totally unprepared for Fukushima' - Mar 05, 2012
- Fukushima n-plant operator confirms fuel meltdown - May 24, 2011
- Japan resumes cooling operations at quake-hit nuke plant - Mar 21, 2011
- The day that shook Japan - Mar 11, 2012
- Fukushima cleanup will take decades : Japan - Jul 10, 2011
- Japanese government declares 'cold shutdown' at Fukushima nuclear plant - Dec 16, 2011
- Japan declares 20 km no-go zone around Fukushima n-plant - Apr 21, 2011
- Fukushima 50 criticise Japanese govt. over inconsistent documentation of their radiation exposure - Apr 23, 2011
- Japan struggles to cool n-reactors, toll crosses 12,000 (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Cooling system restored at Japan n-plant reactor - May 29, 2011
- Earthquake disrupts work at crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant - Apr 11, 2011
- Japan struggles to prevent n-meltdown, 20 people irradiated (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2011
- TEPCO President apologises for Fukushima emergency - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: cooling systems, earthquakes, fukushima, independent investigation, investigation commission, magnitude 9 earthquake, man made disaster, natural disaster, negligence, novosti, nuclear accident, nuclear plant, parliament, parliamentary panel, prevention, reactors, s 600, sense of responsibility, tokyo electric power company, tsunami