Jairam wants India to be ‘open defecation-free’ in a decadeJune 25th, 2012 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 25 (IANS) Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh Monday said that he wanted to make India a nation free of open defecation in a decade’s time.
“At present, Sikkim is the only state in the country which is declared open defecation-free. In Kerala, of the 978 gram panchayats, all but 19 are now open defecation-free. The state government has assured that by Nov 1, Kerala would be the first major state to have this status,” said Ramesh to reporters after presiding over a meeting of sanitation officials here.
He added that he has prepared a road map for the country and in the next two to three years, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh would achieve this status.
“In five years, Maharashtra would achieve it and then starts the real problem with regards to other states. My target is that in 10 years, India will and should achieve this status,” added Ramesh.
He also pointed out that currently, of the 2.40 lakh gram panchayats, just 28,000 have achieved this status.
“Sixty percent of all open defecation in the world takes place in India and 60 to 70 per cent of the women defecate in the country in the open. We are behind our neighbouring countries in this and we should change this,” said Ramesh.
- NGOs to help in evaluation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan: Ramesh - Sep 18, 2012
- India is world's capital for open defecation, says Ramesh - Jul 27, 2012
- Open defecation will end in 10 years, says Ramesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Women can be prime movers of sanitation, says Patil - Mar 21, 2012
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Hera-pheri' in total sanitation programme: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 14, 2012
- Jairam calls for eradicating open defecation by 2022 - Feb 15, 2012
- Total sanitation campaign being seen as 'token', says Ramesh - Feb 17, 2012
- Women demanding mobile phones but not toilets, says Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Himachal to be free of open defecation by next month - Jul 24, 2011
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- 212 Madhya Pradesh villages chosen for Nirmal Gram Puraskar - Mar 23, 2012
- World Bank offers $200 million loan to Kerala (With Images) - Jul 05, 2011
- President Patil to felicitate Nirmal Gram Puraskar awardees - Mar 22, 2011
- Be sensitive to women's requirements: Jairam Ramesh - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: 10 years, decade, gram panchayats, himachal pradesh, India, jairam ramesh, kerala, neighbouring countries, nov 1, open defecation, road map, rural development, sanitation, sikkim, state government, target, union minister