Jairam Ramesh visits oil spill siteAugust 14th, 2010 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 14 (IANS) A week after the ship collision, Union Minister for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh Saturday visited the site of the oil spill off Mumbai coast to take stock of the ongoing salvage operations.
Accompanied by Maharashtra Environment Minister Suresh Shetty, Ramesh expressed his concern over the extensive damage to the environment and the coastal areas of Mumbai, Raigad and Thane districts.
Ramesh is to hold a review meeting on the Mumbai oil slick and address mediapersons later.
The minister said that the mangroves along the coast have been damaged extensively dur to the spill and only some of them will be able to regenerate.
Shetty said that other mangroves in the 25 km stretch will be replanted after they receive the damage assessment report next week.
In the meantime, several workers of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) along with the Coast Guard workers undertook clean-up operations at the site of the oil spill Saturday morning.
Almost a week after the two ships collided off the Mumbai coast, a convoy of 10 ships was piloted out of the Mumbai Port Trust (MbPT) and Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) Friday, a day after partial operations were restored on both the ports.
The oil spilled from the sunken containers that fell from the Panamanian cargo carrier, MSC Chitra after its collision with a St. Kitts-flagged vessel, MV Khalijia-III, just outside the Mumbai harbour last Saturday.
- Oil pollution sighted in Thane after ship collision leak - Aug 14, 2010
- No more oil spill off Mumbai coast: Jairam Ramesh (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- No more oil spill off Mumbai coast: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 10, 2010
- Maritime activity resumes five days after collision (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Efforts on to combat oil spill hazards off Mumbai - Aug 10, 2010
- Oil spill under control, says Chavan - Aug 10, 2010
- Munde slams Maharashtra government over oil spill - Aug 15, 2010
- Manmohan Singh seeks report on Mumbai oil spill - Aug 09, 2010
- Efforts on to check worst oil spill in Arabian Sea (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- Navy to stop escorting ships in Mumbai harbour from Monday - Aug 22, 2010
- Mumbai ports eager to resume normal operations - Aug 12, 2010
- No fresh reports of oil leak off Mumbai coast - Aug 10, 2010
- Efforts on to check oil spill off Mumbai (Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- Ramesh terms ship collision as freak accident (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Navy launches survey of Mumbai harbour shipping channel - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,