Jairam insists on more forest cover for IndiaJune 5th, 2011 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Sunday emphasised on increasing the country’s forest cover through the Green India Mission, while India played global host to the World Environment Day for the first time Sunday.
“Forest cover should be 33 percent in India. To accomplish this, area would have to be reclaimed from the sea while we increase the monitoring of the forest cover,” Ramesh said while launching the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report on ‘Forests in a Green Economy’.
The Green India Mission focusses on conserving and increasing India’s forest cover.
“By January 2013, real time monitoring of forest cover would be possible,” Ramesh said.
UNEP, in alignment with the UN International Year of Forests, 2011, under its theme for this year ‘Saving Forests’, is celebrating a multitude of services performed by the world’s forests - providing clean air, housing rich biodiversity and supplying water
The capital has also been celebrating the World Environment Day for almost a week.
The national capital witnessed a five-day ‘Green Haat’, showcasing initiatives of forest dwellers and minor forest produce federations of various states, highlighting the value added forest products at Dilli Haat. The environment ministry and UNEP also held a screening of films on biodiversity at the Tihar Jail.
School students participated in a Green Walkathon flagged off by Ramesh Sunday morning.
- India gears up to mark Environment Day for UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Priyanka Chopra Vs Rahul Bose on World Environment Day - Jun 01, 2011
- India can't do without nuclear, thermal energy: Ramesh - Jun 03, 2011
- What is a forest? India yet to define (World Environment Day is on June 5) - Jun 04, 2011
- Youth walk for environment in Green Walkathon - Jun 05, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh launches village-level Green India Mission - Mar 26, 2011
- Green India Mission document submitted to PM council - Oct 12, 2010
- Mining eating into Goa forests: Church - Jun 05, 2011
- India moves ahead with conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity - Feb 10, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh backs real-time monitoring of forests - Mar 26, 2011
- India named global host of World Environment Day 2011 - Feb 23, 2011
- Economy not at cost of forests: Ramesh - Mar 21, 2011
- Delhi to increase its green cover: Dikshit - Mar 21, 2011
- Biodiversity project launched in Himachal - Jul 03, 2012
- India to launch forestry satellite in 2013 - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,