Jairam complains MPs pushing for projectsDecember 29th, 2010 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh has complained to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar about MPs pushing for some projects, citing it as a serious issue of ethics.Ramesh in his letter to Kumar earlier this week said that MPs approach him with matters of companies they are directly involved with, companies in other constituencies and in their own constituencies.
“The MPs should be dissuaded from meeting officials directly as such meetings were often used to put pressure on the ministry,” the letter said.
“The MPs approach me on behalf of the companies they run or with which they are closely associated. This is a blatant violation of norms. I have tried to discourage this but have not entirely succeeded,” it said.
Ramesh said he also finds objectionable when MPs approach him pleading for or against projects that are neither in their state, nor in their constituency.
He said he has no objections over representations from MPs regarding projects in their constituencies but he requested the speaker to take note of the other two categories of MPs as serious ethics issued are involved.
- Jairam's letter on lobbying MPs sent to parliament's ethics panel - Dec 30, 2010
- Name the lobbying MPs, BJP asks Ramesh - Dec 31, 2010
- No decision yet on Telangana MPs' resignation: Speaker (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Telangana MPs' resignation under consideration: Speaker - Jul 08, 2011
- Congress MP breaks down over Gujarat police action (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Bihar allowed to construct rural roads under central scheme - Sep 16, 2011
- Speaker pulls up Sharad Yadav - Aug 17, 2012
- KBC winner will be rural job scheme brand ambassador - Nov 14, 2011
- Speaker to meet politicians on women's reservation bill - Jul 13, 2011
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal - May 08, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh threatens to sue Kejriwal - Apr 01, 2012
- Pranab loses cool, Lok Sabha adjourned - Feb 25, 2011
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- PETA opposes sending elephants to Turkmenistan - Oct 28, 2010
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012