Jagjit Singh for slow trains in elephant corridorsApril 20th, 2011 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Concerned over the death of jumbos in train accidents, singer Jagjit Singh Wednesday appealed to the railway ministry to limit the speed of trains in elephant corridors across the country.
In a letter to Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee, Jagjit Singh asked her that speed detection device should be used in all elephant corridors.
“It is difficult to understand why elephants continue to die when there are ways to solve this problem,” said the singer, noting that strict speed limits are particularly important in areas where elephants roam.
“A speed-detection device offers an effective, simple way to slow down trains. Drivers going at dangerous speeds could be punished, and notifying conductors that such monitoring is taking place will encourage them to slow down,” Singh said in his letter on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India.
According to PETA, about 150 elephants have been killed by trains since 1987.
- Jagjit Singh raises elephant deaths with Mamata - Apr 20, 2011
- PETA moots speed guns against trains that kill tuskers - Oct 05, 2010
- Maharashtra mourns Jagjit Singh's death - Oct 10, 2011
- Railways not responsible for elephant deaths: Mamata - Nov 16, 2010
- Mamata regrets mowing down of elephants by train - Sep 24, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee expresses anguish over death of elephants in West Bengal - Sep 24, 2010
- Ramesh to visit site where train killed tuskers - Sep 28, 2010
- Centre's decision to confer 'National Heritage' status on elephants welcomed - Oct 29, 2010
- Railways blames elephants for straying - Sep 24, 2010
- PFA activists protest against elephants killing - Mar 04, 2010
- McCartney raises voice to save baby elephant in India (With Image) - Jul 26, 2012
- Will meet Mamata to discuss elephants' deaths: Ramesh - Oct 01, 2010
- Elephants tortured, Carlsberg withdraws match sponsorship - Aug 17, 2011
- Prime minister concerned over unmanned railway crossings - Jun 01, 2011
- Trying to save young ones, seven elephants mowed down by train - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,