It’s coolest April in Delhi (Lead)April 26th, 2012 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) The national capital Thursday again had a soft, cool breeze and light drizzle, and the Met Office said April this year has been an unusually pleasant month.
“This April has been more pleasant than usual, experiencing light rain or thunderstorms. The unusually pleasant weather for the month of April is because of western disturbances,” R.K. Jenamani, director of the Indian Meteorological Department (IGI Airport), told IANS.
Western disturbance is a meteorological term referring to a succession of fast-moving air currents from the Mediterranean region that bring sudden rain and snow to the northwestern parts of the Indian subcontinent.
“Western disturbances at this time are not unusual but these ones have certainly moved at unusual speeds. Usually, the national capital gets dust storms and light rain two or three times in April. But this time, we have seen this for seven to eight times. This pattern is likely to continue till the first week of May,” Jenamani said.
From April 1 to 10, the maximum temperature in the capital city touched about 38 degrees Celsius. Then, the weather pattern changed with the western disturbances bringing light showers and dust storms, and pushing the temperatures down.
“The sun is so fierce during the day. But then, there is sudden change in the weather towards the afternoon and evening. The breeze accompanied by a few drops of rain is a bliss!” said Sylvia Paul, shopping at Connaught Place.
The minimum temperature Thursday settled at 22.6 degrees, two notches below what is the average for this time of the season. The Met Office has forecast rain later in the day.
The maximum temperature is expected to be around 36 degrees, said a Met official.
Wednesday’s maximum temperature was 35.6 degrees Celsius, three notches below the season’s average, while the minimum was 22.6 degrees Celsius, two notches below average, the official said.
- Showers lash Delhi, good weather to continue (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- It's coolest April in Delhi, good weather to continue (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Coolest April in Delhi comes to end Monday (Second lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Cool morning in Delhi, rains expected - Apr 11, 2011
- Pleasant day in Delhi, light rain expected Saturday (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, clear day ahead - Apr 25, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains in store - Apr 26, 2012
- Clear day for Delhi - Apr 27, 2012
- Hot Thursday in Delhi, similar weather Friday (Second lead) - May 17, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, warm day ahead - Apr 16, 2012
- Delhi has a breezy Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Pleasant Sunday in Delhi, mercury may rise Monday - Apr 15, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, rain in store - Apr 12, 2012
- Bright day in Delhi, thunder storm expected - May 11, 2012
- Clear morning in Delhi, light rains ahead - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: air currents, change in the weather, connaught place, cool breeze, drops of rain, dust storms, indian meteorological department, indian subcontinent, light drizzle, light rain, light showers, maximum temperature, mediterranean region, minimum temperature, month of april, rain and snow, sudden rain, three notches, time of the season, weather pattern