ISRO’s help sought for preparing environmental databaseOctober 27th, 2010 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 27 (IANS) The Central Pollution Control Board Wednesday asked the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to help in preparing an integrated environmental database using the Geographical Information System (GIS).
“We will ask ISRO to help us in preparing environment impact statement (EIS) using GIS, which will be of great help to policy makers,” said CPCB chairperson S.P. Gautam.
The central pollution monitoring agency Wednesday released compendium ‘Studies on Pollution Mitigation’, comprising of 133 research papers on various facets of pollution related matter.
Former ISRO chief G. Madhavan Nair, who was present at the function, said he will take up the matter with ISRO chief K. Radhakrishnan.
“India has not paid much attention on pollution monitoring. Monitoring environment is necessary as forest cover, level of ground water, status of water bodies, land cover is key input for national planning,” said Nair.
The compendium incorporates the research papers of scientists and engineers from various institutions in the country.
- ISRO to release reports on Antrix-Devas deal - Jan 31, 2012
- Noise monitoring network launched - Mar 24, 2011
- Court notice on plea against effluent discharge - Mar 28, 2012
- PM should probe ISRO blacklisting order: Former chairman (Interview) - Jan 29, 2012
- Nair, three others found responsible for controversial deal - Feb 05, 2012
- Nair slams government, ISRO chief for action against him (Intro Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- I've been barred without probe, former ISRO chief tells PM (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Moratorium on polluting industrial projects extended - Apr 28, 2011
- ISRO: A great institution's fall from grace (News Analysis) - Jan 25, 2012
- Scientist resigns over blacklisting of ISRO stalwarts (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Madhavan Nair takes on government, says ISRO gone to dogs (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Moratorium extended on critically polluted industrial clusters - Oct 26, 2010
- Moratorium extended on projects in polluted clusters - Aug 31, 2010
- Moratorium extended on critically polluted industrial clusters (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Move to ban from government jobs improper: Madhavan Nair - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: central pollution control board, cpcb, environment impact, environmental database, forest cover, geographical information system, ground water, impact statement, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro, madhavan, nair, national planning, pollution control board, pollution mitigation, radhakrishnan, research papers, water bodies, water status