Islamabad battles water crisisJune 16th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 16 (IANS) Pakistani capital Islamabad seems to be headed for a hard time following no rains. The city is left with water barely enough to sustain its requirements beyond a month, a media report said.
The water supply to the capital from the country’s Simly Dam and other sources would last a month, and emergency situation could arise in case it doesn’t rain in time, Daily Times reported Saturday.
With the start of the summer, lack of rains aggravated the water shortage in the capital, as water consumption increased manifolds. The capital receives water supply from Simly Dam, Khanpur Dam, 180 tube-wells and tankers.
The water level in Simly Dam has reached 2,260 feet which is just enough to meet three weeks’ needs.
According to a Captial Development Authority (CDA) official, water reservoir for the dwellers of the capital would be able to meet demand just for a month.
If the monsoon season did not start in the coming weeks, the authority would have to rely on tube-wells and water tankers to ensure provision of water supply to citizens, he added.
In case of emergency situation regarding water shortage, it would be tackled with the help of the Punjab government and water tankers of the Pakistan Army, he added.
In 1992, a water emergency was faced after an acute water shortage.
- Mumbai, Maharashtra face grave water crisis - Jun 25, 2012
- Wastage makes Pakistan one of most "water stressed" countries in world - Mar 21, 2011
- Delhi thirsty for water, crisis to deepen - Jun 21, 2012
- Jaipur district encounters water shortage - Jul 15, 2010
- Inadequate rains, scarcity, worry Maharashtra legislators - Jul 11, 2012
- Mumbai faces water cuts after July 15 - Jun 26, 2012
- Maharashtra left with only 13 percent water in reservoirs - Jun 27, 2012
- Islamabad streets to see new light! - Nov 28, 2011
- Pond revered by Hindus drying up in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2012
- Water crisis hits south Delhi, residents suffer - Jun 23, 2010
- Parched Rajasthan stares at a crisis - Apr 15, 2010
- Third Gandhi visits Maharashtra, but drought continues... - Apr 28, 2012
- Water rises in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 21, 2012
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Bhakra, Pong dams still short of water - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,