Is there a Tsunami round the corner - Major earthquake rocks Tonga?March 20th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by GD
An undersea volcano in Tonga is sending out volumes of smoke & ash thousands of feet in to the air. A series of earthquakes rocked Tonga, a 170 island archipelago between Australia and Tahiti. The earthquake was measured at a magnitude of 7.9 on the Richter scale on Friday. A 5.2 magnitude after shock was also recorded 2 hours prior to the initial quake.
The sudden volcanic eruptions followed by the earthquake prompted the local authorities to issue a Tsunami alert for Tonga and neighboring islands. Tonga and the adjoining islands are a part of the “ring of fire”, an arc of volcanic and earthquake prone islands in the pacific.
The earthquake which struck at 7.17 am lay centered 210 Kms south – southeast of the Tongan capital “Nuku’alofa”. No major damage of loss or property was reported and people were seen roaming the streets. The press also reported that the “Tsunami warning” was not being taken seriously by the residents.
The plume of smoke form the volcanic eruptions rose to between 15,000 to 25,000 feet. Geologists have classified this as a very significant volcanic eruption. However, there is no significant data to relate volcanic eruptions to earthquakes.
Based on the events in Tonga, a Hawaiian based Tsunami warning center has issued an alert stating that some coastal areas in Hawaii could also experience high tide at sea for several hours.
Well is there a major Tsunami on the way, god knows? Mother Nature would finally have the last say on this. Another reminder for mankind to respect and preserve nature or face the consequences.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga's capital, no tsunami threat - Feb 13, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Tonga, no damage expected - Oct 12, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes south of the Fiji Islands, close to Tonga - May 15, 2010
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts the Pacific Ocean near Tonga - Sep 23, 2011
- Tonga quake triggers tsunami warning - Mar 20, 2009
- Tonga to send more than two hundred troops to Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2010
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- Small tsunami after huge earthquake off Tonga - Mar 20, 2009
Tags: coastal areas, earthquake rocks, earthquakes, geologists, high tide, initial quake, island archipelago, islands in the pacific, kms south, local authorities, nuku alofa, plume of smoke, richter scale, ring of fire, south southeast, tsunami alert, tsunami warning center, undersea volcano, volcanic eruption, volcanic eruptions