Ira Einhorn, Co-Founder of Earth Day, is the Unicorn KillerApril 24th, 2009 - 12:35 am ICT by GD
Ira Einhorn, an icon of the green movement and the self-declared co-founder of Earth Day, is a cold blooded murderer and serving a life sentences for the murder. His name Einhorn means “unicorn” in German and he is now called The Unicorn Killer.
When he was a student has the University of Pennsylvania Einhorn was romantically involved with Holly Maddux, a graduate student from the Bryn Mawr college for five years. In 1977, Maddux broke up with Einhorn and moved to New York city where she became involved with another man. Einhorn was furious when he heard this and asked Maddux to get back to Philadelphia to take her things away from the apartment they were sharing. Maddux agreed and visited the apartment. She was seen again in a badly decomposed state in a trunk inside Ira Einhorn’s closet. He was then charged for murder.
Just before the trial of the murder Einhorn flew to Europe and lived there for sixteen years and took a Swedish wife called Annika Flodin before he was extradited from France to the US in 1997 to serve a life sentence. The conviction was done in absentia in 1993.
He stood in his own defense and said that Maddux was killed by CIA agents who were trying to frame him. Two hours of deliberation later the jury did not find the testimony credible and confirmed the conviction. Einhorn is currently at the state prison in Houtzdale in central Pennsylvania.
He was on stage at the first Earth Day event as the master of ceremonies and is said to be instrumental in the creation of Earth Day in 1970.
- 25 must-know words for every child revealed - Feb 20, 2012
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- Don't jail Dharun Ravi with rapists, murderers: Judge (lead) - May 30, 2012
- US man slept with rotting corpse for two days - Oct 23, 2010
- Brit-Indian 'jealous' husband caught on CCTV buying machete for wife's murder - Dec 04, 2010
- Tunisia's Ben Ali sentenced to 20 more years in jail - Jun 14, 2012
- Bernie Madoff Will Have Private Service for Son - Dec 15, 2010
- Amanda Knox to sign 2.5 mn pounds book deal - Feb 18, 2012
- TV executive murder case convict refused bail - Dec 20, 2011
- Indian gets 39-year jail for slaying Nepali schoolgirl - Nov 20, 2010
- Headless body found in trunk in Chennai - Mar 17, 2012
- US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy's death - Nov 22, 2011
- Tunisian military court sentences Ben Ali in absentia - Jul 19, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's killer jailed for life - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: bryn mawr college, central pennsylvania, cia agents, co founder, cold blooded murderer, creation of earth, deliberation, earth day, flodin, founder of earth day, holly maddux, houtzdale, ira einhorn, life sentence, life sentences, master of ceremonies, sixteen years, state prison, unicorn killer, university of pennsylvania