Intense heat in West Bengal claims two livesApril 12th, 2010 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 12 (IANS) Two people died of sunstroke in Bankura and Howrah districts in West Bengal, health department officials said.
The deaths took place in Bankura’s Gajantala area and Howrah district’s Lilluah area.
“We think the man died of sun stroke as he came out of home without taking adequate heat protection measures on the day when the temperature was more than 40 degree Celsius,” said an official of Bankura district state general hospital.
The other person died of sunstroke in Howrah district’s Lilluah locality, district health department official said.
Many districts like West Midnapore, Birbhum, Purulia, Burdwan, South 24-Parganas and North 24-Parganas saw intense heat wave as the day’s highest temperature stood above 40 degree-mark.
- Bengal heat toll rises to 45 (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Heat wave, power cuts make life tough in West Bengal - Apr 11, 2010
- Poll panel officer meets Bengal bureaucrats, police officials - Feb 02, 2011
- Mamata expresses concern over flood-hit areas - Sep 23, 2011
- Bengal heat toll rises to 42 - Jun 06, 2012
- Two poll officials die in Bengal polls first phase - Apr 19, 2011
- Heat kills 30 in Bengal, officials swing into action - Jun 05, 2012
- Election Commission team starts arriving in Bengal - Jan 17, 2011
- West Bengal on high alert as rivers breach embankments - Aug 09, 2011
- Seven health districts to be set up, says Mamata - Dec 24, 2011
- Full EC to visit Bengal April 28 - Apr 25, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Calling all hands for Bengal polls, willing or unwilling - Apr 14, 2011
- Poll panel team visits Bengal's violence-hit areas - Jan 19, 2011
- EC meets top Bengal officials to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: adequate heat, bankura district, birbhum, burdwan, deaths, degree celsius, degree mark, district health department, general hospital, health department officials, heat protection, howrah district, intense heat wave, locality, midnapore, protection measures, purulia, sun stroke, sunstroke, west bengal