Intense cold grips Kashmir ValleyJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 22 (IANS) An intense cold wave gripped Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir Valley Sunday. The weather office forecast has fresh snowfall.
Bone-chilling winds lashed the region as night temperatures fell much below the freezing point.
It was minus 4.2 degrees in Srinagar, minus 7.6 in Qazigund, minus 11.2 in Pahalgam, minus 14.0 in Gulmarg, minus 20.0 in Leh and minus 17.6 in Kargil.
Due to highly slippery roads and fresh accumulation of frozen ice on roads and pavements, people with bone injuries were continuously pouring into the city’s Bone and Joint hospital.
“The number of patients is increasing. People are advised to wear proper footwear while walking on frozen roads and pavements,” said Manzoor Ahmad Halwai, superintendent of Srinagar’s only specialized bone hospital.
“People should also be careful about the falling snow from rooftops while walking,” he said.
Meanwhile, the weather office has forecast fresh snowfall in the next three days across the valley.
“Fresh snowfall is likely between Jan 23 and 26. The snowfall is likely to be moderate,” said Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office.
- Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken - Jan 13, 2012
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Cold wave intensifies in Kashmir and Ladakh - Jan 21, 2012
- Season's lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16 - Dec 25, 2011
- Srinagar battles frozen taps, winter woes at minus 5.6 - Jan 18, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley - Feb 14, 2011
- Leh freezes at minus 18 - season's lowest - Dec 23, 2011
- Srinagar shivers, rain and snow likely in Kashmir - Jan 21, 2011
- Lakes freeze in sub-zero Kashmir (With Images) - Jan 10, 2012
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: bone injuries, cold wave, falling snow, freezing point, frozen ice, frozen roads, gulmarg, kashmir, manzoor, meteorological office, night temperatures, pahalgam, pavements, proper footwear, rooftops, slippery roads, snowfall, sonam, srinagar, weather office