Indian held in Dhaka for smuggling tortoisesAugust 7th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 7 (IANS) An Indian was Tuesday arrested at the airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle over 100 baby tortoises, officials said.
The tortoises were in two suitcases to be taken to Bangkok, Xinhua reported.
Ehtashamul Haq of the Airport Armed Police Battalion said three people including one Indian and two Bangladeshi officials were arrested at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.
The Indian’s name was not released.
In April, Bangladeshi customs seized over 400 tortoises reportedly brought from India and meant to be smuggled to Bangkok.
Officials in Thailand last year also reportedly found hundreds of tortoises and crocodiles in suitcases that had arrived on a flight from Dhaka.
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011
- Indian arrested in Bangladesh with 20 kg heroin - May 05, 2010
- Indian questioned over Bali smuggling - May 29, 2012
- Why is Eden not hosting an India game sir? (World Cup Diary) - Feb 16, 2011
- Argentina arrive in Dhaka for football friendly against Nigeria - Sep 05, 2011
- Thailand repatriates illegal Bangladeshi migrants - Feb 18, 2010
- Bus plunges into ditch in Bangladesh - Jul 17, 2011
- Bangladesh strategically important, says US envoy - Nov 19, 2011
- Four Britons, Indian held in Bali cocaine case - May 28, 2012
- Chinese man raises 6,000 crocodiles - Jul 10, 2012
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Clothes dipped in liquid cocaine found in Italy drug bust - Feb 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi lauds Bangladesh's efforts to tackle terror - Jul 25, 2011
- CBI seizes antique sculpture - Mar 29, 2012
- Man found with snakes & tortoise in his pants at Miami Airport - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,