India launches integrated weather forecasting systemSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 23 (IANS) India Thursday launched an integrated forecasting and communication system for making accurate meteorological predictions that will place the country at par with the best technologies available anywhere in the world.
The Rs.10 billion ($220 million) system has been set up under the guidance of Meteo France International, which works with Met France for weather predictions.
“It is an important day for the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) as the system will bring India in the forefront of weather forecasting,” said Science and Technology Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
Explaining the working of the system, Chavan said: “The data from various observatories, sensors, doppler radars and automatic weather stations will be collected. These will be run in various computer models and weather experts will come out with forecasts.”
The system will provide weather predictions of location-specific areas in a customised manner.
“Sitting here (Delhi) we can pick up data from any radar spread across the country and make weather forecasts for any part of the country,” said IMD Director General A.K. Tyagi.
Tyagi said the hi-tech system will be a value addition for the aviation sector, agro-met services, disaster management and other services provided by IMD.
“It’s a big achievement for the IMD as we have been able to put in place the most hi-tech weather forecasting system in just two years,” he said.
- India set for better weather forecast with Chinese radars - Oct 20, 2011
- Weather alerts for farmers reap Rs.500 bn dividend! - Aug 05, 2011
- Delhi gets advanced radar for weather forecast - May 20, 2010
- Weather forecasts to get more accurate, courtesy Chinese radars - May 05, 2010
- 20 percent chances of rain during Games: IMD - Sep 15, 2010
- India eyes supercomputer for accurate weather predictions - Feb 17, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh weather department goes high-tech - Dec 30, 2011
- For agri help, 20 million farmers to dial in - Oct 28, 2011
- Doppler radars to make monsoon rainfall prediction more accurate - Oct 06, 2010
- India to launch spoken web service for farmers - Jan 13, 2012
- India to deploy more Doppler radars for weather forecast - Dec 09, 2009
- Threat of rain - will it dampen Commonwealth Games? - Oct 24, 2009
- Finnish firm to help predict weather during Commonwealth Games - Sep 08, 2009
- Court questions Himachal on calamity handling readiness - Jul 27, 2011
- Government mulls weather inputs for farmers - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: automatic weather stations, aviation sector, communication system, computer models, director general, disaster management, doppler radars, france international, indian meteorological department, indian meteorological department imd, meteo france, prithviraj, science and technology, technology minister, tyagi, value addition, weather experts, weather forecasting system, weather forecasts, weather predictions