Incessant rains in Delhi, more forecast (Second Lead)September 21st, 2010 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Delhi once again saw continuous rains Tuesday, resulting in waterlogging in a few areas and slowing down of traffic. The weatherman predicted more rains Wednesday.
The city received 16.6 mm of rainfall since morning till 5.30 p.m., taking the total rainfall recorded this season to 1,052.3 mm, which is 57 percent above the average.
The maximum humidity level settled at 100 percent, while the minimum was 87 percent.
The showers caused flooding in some areas, leading to traffic jams.
“Complaints about traffic jams and reports of waterlogging were received mostly from the stretch between Ashok Vihar and Wazirabad and Badarpur border area,” a Delhi traffic police official told IANS.
Roads were flooded in Adhchini, the railway underpass in Sarita Vihar and the Ashram intersection in south Delhi, Rohtak Road and Rama Road in west Delhi earlier in the day. Traffic jams were also reported from Palam Vihar in south Delhi.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has forecast more rains Wednesday as well.
“Generally cloudy sky with one or two spells of rains or thundershowers are expected tomorrow (Wednesday),” an IMD official said.
The maximum temperature recorded Tuesday was a cool 27.9 degrees Celsius thanks to the showers while the minimum was 24 degrees.
On Wednesday, the maximum temperature is predicted to hover around 30 degrees Celsius and the minimum would be around 24 degrees, the official said.
- Wet Delhi causes traffic snarls (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, bring back waterlogging, jams (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi for second day, more expected (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, season's wettest day (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Cloudy day, rains expected late in night (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Muggy day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: ashok, border area, cloudy sky, humidity level, incessant rains, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, police official, rama road, rohtak road, south delhi, thundershowers, traffic jams, traffic police, underpass, waterlogging, wazirabad, weatherman, west delhi