Iceland volcano ash blows to northMay 23rd, 2011 - 6:01 am ICT by IANS
Reykjavik, May 23 (IANS) The ash cloud formed by Iceland’s latest volcanic eruption is blowing to the north, and indicates that it will not get to the European mainland at present, Xinhua reported.
The latest eruption of the Grimsvotn volcano started around 5 p.m. (1700 GMT) Saturday, said the Iceland Review.
The ash that erupted from the volcano this time was coarse and dropped to the ground quicker compared to that from the Eyjafjallajokul volcano last year which was damp due to steam and stayed in the air longer.
Safety authorities have warned people to stay inside and avoid unnecessary travel.
People have been delivered masks and safety glasses by search and rescue teams and advised to wear them if they go out.
The Grimsvotn volcano in the middle of Vatnajokull glacier is the most active volcano in Iceland. Since 1920, eruptions have taken place in 1922, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1945, 1954, 1983, 1998 and 2004. Many of the eruptions lasted up to three weeks.
- Volcano eruption: Flight cancellations leave thousands stranded - May 25, 2011
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
- Polish airspace safe despite Iceland volcano eruption - May 24, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Volcanic ash may reach North America - Apr 21, 2010
- Buenos Aires airports reopen as volcanic ash clears - Oct 18, 2011
- Volcano ash shuts down airports in Germany (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Europe cancels 250 flights over volcanic ash (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Hekla Volcano Being Monitored By Scientists After Eyjafjallajokull Eruptions - Apr 20, 2010
- Eyjafjallajokull Volcano spews ice, smoke and steam in the air - Apr 16, 2010
- A film funded by Icelandic volcano - Nov 19, 2011
- China delays Europe flights due to new volcanic eruption - May 09, 2010
- Hundreds evacuated as Iceland's volcano erupts - Mar 22, 2010
- Iceland Volcano Erupts Again On May 11, Spews Ash Over North Africa - May 12, 2010
- Iceland Volcano May Lead To Katla Eruption - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: ash cloud, authorities, european mainland, gmt, grimsvotn volcano, iceland volcano, masks, reykjavik, safety glasses, search and rescue, steam, unnecessary travel, vatnajokull glacier, volcanic eruption, volcano ash, volcano in iceland, xinhua