Hurricane Tomas Strengthens, Becomes Category 2October 31st, 2010 - 8:53 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Oct 30, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The weather forecasters announced early Sunday morning that Hurricane Tomas has strengthened to Category 2 storm as it traveled through the eastern Caribbean. The National Hurricane Center in Florida announced earlier that tropical storm Tomas damaged many homes and it has also downed power lines in Barbados. The latest weather report says that today morning Hurricane Tomas was 90 miles in west-northwest of St. Vincent and about 95 miles west of St. Lucia. The hurricane center reported that Hurricane Tomas’ maximum sustained winds are 100mph,a nd it makes it a Category 2 hurricane.
Hurricane Tomas is reported to be Atlantic nations’s 12th hurricane. It has lashed many Caribbean islands where it brought down many electric poles and ripped roofs off the houses. The officials storm warning have already been issued in Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Saint Vincent, Grenada, Martinique, the Grenadines as well as Saint Lucia as these are the areas expected to be affected the most owing to the hurricane. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said that Hurricane Tomas strengthened its base on Saturday night with with 90 mph winds. However, no reports of death has been reported yet.
The largest festival of the island, Creole festival is also canceled owing to Hurricane Tomas. The National Hurricane Center officials are of the opinion that in the middle of the week it can turn to Category 3 to Category 4 in the south of the Dominican Republic and Haiti. However, the biggest fear right at this moment is that Hurricane Tomas might affect Haiti, which is already hit by cholera and also around 1.5 million survivors are still living without a proper shelter and are susceptible to danger.
- Several killed on St. Vincent as Hurricane Tomas strengthens into a category two storm - Oct 31, 2010
- Tropical storm Tomas forms southeast of Barbados, could threaten Jamaica - Oct 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Tomas Likely To Turn Into A Hurricane - Oct 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- St Vincent and the Grenadines celebrates its Indian heritage - Jun 02, 2012
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Haiti Might Just Be In Hurricane Tomas' Path - Oct 31, 2010
- Hurricane Igor Might Escalate To Category Five - Sep 14, 2010
- Hurricane Earl threatens Caribbean - Aug 30, 2010
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011
- Bermuda on alert as Hurricane Leslie approaches - Sep 07, 2012
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- U.S. warns against travel to Haiti amid threat posed by Tropical Storm Tomas - Nov 02, 2010
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: caribbean islands, category 2 hurricane, category 2 storm, category 3, center officials, cholera, creole festival, electric poles, gina gomez, maximum sustained winds, national hurricane center, oct 30, roofs, st lucia, storm warning, trinidad and tobago, tropical storm, weather forecasters, weather report, west northwest