Honduras quake prompts tsunami alertMay 28th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
A tsunami warning for countries within and bordering the Caribbean Sea was issued this morning by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) following a strong offshore earthquake 130 km (80 miles) northeast of La Ceiba, Honduras.
The magnitude 7.1 quake occurred at 3.24am local time at a depth of only 10km (6.2miles) and was felt in Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Southern Mexico.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS), said it expected no major damage from the powerful quake, but local radio reported the quake was felt very strongly in La Ceiba.
The PTWC said it did not expect the quake to generate a destructive widespread tsunami based on historical earthquake and tsunami data for the region, however, there was the possibility of a local tsunami threat.
Guatemala radio and the country’s fire department reported no damage from the quake, which was followed shortly after by a magnitude 4.7 after-shock.
Local media in Honuras report building damage and a major fire following the quake.
A tsunami watch remains in effect.
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- 7.9-magnitude quake strikes Costa Rica, tsunami warnings issued - Sep 05, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
- Houses collapse in Pakistan quake (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: caribbean sea, earthquake, fire department, guatemala radio, km 80, la ceiba honduras, local media, magnitude, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, powerful quake, ptwc, southern mexico, tsunami, tsunami data, tsunami threat, tsunami warning center, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs