Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath YatraJune 11th, 2012 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) With snowfall affecting the preparations for the Amarnath Yatra, the union home ministry Monday said it was aware of the concerns for the timely commencement of the pilgrimage and was reviewing the situation keeping in mind the safety of the pilgrims.
“The government is aware of the concerns of pilgrims for the timely commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the Shri Amarnath Shrine and is reviewing the situation keeping in mind the safety of the pilgrims. All necessary steps are being taken in this regard,” the ministry said in a statement.
It said the special secretary in the ministry had carried an aerial inspection of the pilgrimage route June 4-5 and at that time, the route was covered in snow in a number of places.
“The Governor of Jammu and Kashmir N.N. Vohra is visiting Pahalgam Monday and Baltal Tuesday to review the situation personally. The Governor had earlier reviewed the situation on June 9 and directed the authorities to take necessary steps to ensure that the Yatra commenced on time,” it added.
Due to inclement weather and lack of arrangement for the pilgrims, the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has restricted pilgrimage to the cave shrine to 39 days, beginning from June 25.
Pilgrims have been protesting curtailment of the pilgrimage from two months to 39 days.
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration from May 7 - Apr 21, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Bajrang Dal group stopped from going to Amarnath base camps - May 13, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, authorities, commencement, curtailment, inclement weather, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, necessary steps, New Delhi, pilgrimage route, pilgrims, regard, reviewing the situation, sasb, shri, shrine board, snowfall, union home ministry, vohra