Himachal to achieve total sanitation programme by March 31January 15th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Solan (Himachal Pradesh), Jan 15 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Saturday said the state would achieve the total sanitation programme by March 31 this year.”We will achieve Sampooran Swachhta Abhiyan (total sanitation programme) by March 31 this year,” he said.
Addressing the presidents and vice-presidents of the panchayats of Shimla, Solan and Sirmaur districts after administering the oath of office to the newly-elected representatives of panchayati raj institutions, Dhumal asked them to help in making the state ‘Nirmal Himachal’.
Dhumal underlined the need to educate the people about the drastic impact of plastic in environment degradation. He said the government was planning to empower panchayati raj institutions to penalise offenders using plastic.
The chief minister said 108 gram panchayats were elected unanimously and were entitled to get a special development grant of Rs.10 lakh each.
He said the PRIs elections saw over 57 percent of women got elected at various posts.
The government in 2008 raised reservation of seats for women in all rural and urban civic bodies from 33 percent to 50 percent and it was for the first time that the elections to the panchayati posts were held under the enhanced quota.
The polling for 3,195 panchayats was held Dec 28 and Dec 30, 2010 and Jan 1, 2011.
- President Patil to felicitate Nirmal Gram Puraskar awardees - Mar 22, 2011
- President Patil emphasizes need for proper sanitation in rural areas - Mar 23, 2011
- Himachal all set to empower rural women - Dec 25, 2010
- Himachal to be free of open defecation by next month - Jul 24, 2011
- NGOs to help in evaluation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan: Ramesh - Sep 18, 2012
- Himachal fair to fairer sex (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Hazare movement could undermine democracy: Aiyar - Apr 24, 2011
- After successful election, 35,000 Kashmiri panchayat members to be trained - Nov 23, 2011
- Himachal village unanimously elects all-woman panchayat - Dec 16, 2010
- Voters brave cold for Himachal Pradesh panchayat polls - Dec 28, 2010
- 'Rural women help Himachal fight open defecation' - Oct 24, 2010
- IGNOU students can access study material online - Jul 02, 2011
- Nearly 68,000 elected representatives take oath in Haryana - Jul 25, 2010
- Manmohan Singh emphasises on need to strengthen panchayats - Apr 24, 2011
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: chief minister, civic bodies, development grant, elections, environment degradation, gram panchayats, himachal pradesh, oath of office, panchayati raj institutions, presidents and vice presidents, quota, sanitation, solan