Himachal rivers in spate, alert soundedAugust 6th, 2010 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 6 (IANS) Rivers in Himachal Pradesh are in spate again following continuous moderate to heavy rainfall is several parts of the state, officials said Friday. A high alert has been sounded in Kullu, Mandi, Kinnaur, Bilaspur and Shimla districts.
“Continuous rainfall (since Thursday) in Kinnaur and Shimla districts has abnormally increased the water level in the Satluj river and its tributaries,” Shimla Deputy Commissioner J.S. Rana told IANS.
“An alert has been sounded in the villages and towns along the river and people advised to move to safer places,” Shimla Deputy Commissioner J.S. Rana told IANS.
He said the discharge in the Satluj has increased to 2,300 cubic metres per second against the normal flow of 1,850 cubic metres.
Likewise, the water level of the Beas has also increased.
“The water level has increased in the Beas, owing to heavy rainfall in entire Kullu district last (Thursday) night, but the river is still flowing below danger mark,” Kullu Deputy Commissioner B.M. Nanta said.
He said the Satluj, which also passes through Kullu district, is in spate due to heavy rainfall.
The water level of the Beas has increased so much that at some places the river is touching the Chandigarh-Manali national highway.
Incessant rains have also caused massive landslides on National Highways 21 and 22 in Shimla, Kinnaur, Mandi and Kullu districts, hampering vehicular traffic.
Himachal Pradesh has been experiencing moderate to heavy rainfall since Thursday.
According to the Met office here, Shimla has got 34.8 mm of rain since Thursday, Dharamsala 34.4 mm and Mandi 75.9 mm.
The met department predicted light to moderate rain in the state Friday.
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, may spell trouble for Punjab, Haryana - Sep 22, 2010
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy rain predicted in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 07, 2010
- Heavy rains in Himachal, more in store - Sep 18, 2012
- Himachal gets relief from heavy rainfall (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Water starts receding in Himachal rivers - Jul 08, 2010
- Himachal may see heavy rains, rivers in spate - Aug 19, 2012
- Widespread rains in Himachal - Jul 09, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Sep 21, 2010
- Scanty rainfall in Himachal, river levels down - Sep 09, 2012
- Bright sunny day in Himachal - Sep 24, 2010
- Himachal gets season's first snow amid rains (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: beas, bilaspur, chandigarh, cubic metres, danger mark, deputy commissioner, dharamsala, himachal pradesh, incessant rains, kullu district, mandi, massive landslides, moderate rain, nanta, national highways, normal flow, satluj river, spate, vehicular traffic, water level