Himachal gets season’s first snow amid rains (Lead)August 13th, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 13 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh got the season’s first snowfall early Saturday, the weather bureau here said. Keylong town and nearby hills experienced snow while elsewhere in the state torrential rains threw life out of gear.
Air services to the state were disrupted because of the torrential rains.
“Keylong town and the nearby hills experienced snowfall Saturday morning,” the Met office said.
Keylong, the headquarters of the remote Lahaul and Spiti district, received four centimetres of snow.
The higher hills such as the Lady of Keylong and the Seven Sisters around the Lahaul Valley and the mighty Rohtang Pass in Kullu district were wrapped in a white blanket.
Most of the prominent tourist towns like Shimla, Narkanda, Kufri, Kalpa, Kasauli, Chamba, Dharamsala, Palampur and Manali saw moderate to heavy spells of rain.
Una town, adjoining Punjab, was the wettest place in the state with a rainfall of 342.6 mm.
Dharamsala - seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile - experienced rainfall of 213.4 mm, while Shimla recorded a mild rainfall of 15.6 mm. The picturesque tourist resort of Manali received 64 mm of rainfall, while Keylong received 55 mm.
Most of the rivers in the state were in spate.
A government spokesperson said that the Satluj, Beas and Yamuna rivers and their tributaries are already flooded over in the Kinnaur, Shimla, Kullu, Mandi, Bilaspur and Sirmaur districts.
He said that all the state roadways buses are plying normally and there was no report of any road closure due to landslides.
An official of Kingfisher Airlines here said flights between Delhi, Shimla, Kullu and Dharamsala were cancelled due to the rains.
The Met office forecast heavy to very heavy rainfall in the mid and low hills Sunday.
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Himachal has season's first snowfall - Aug 13, 2011
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Heavy rains in Himachal, more in store - Sep 18, 2012
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Rain disrupts air traffic, but most of Himachal has snowfall - Dec 30, 2010
- Shimla, Manali get more snowfall (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Shimla gets season's first snowfall - Jan 04, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Himachal may experience heavy snow, rain - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: bilaspur, dharamsala, first snowfall, government spokesperson, kasauli, kingfisher airlines, kinnaur, lahaul and spiti district, manali, narkanda, nearby hills, palampur, road closure, rohtang pass, state roadways, tibetan government in exile, tourist towns, weather bureau, wettest place, yamuna rivers