Himachal gets relief from heavy rainsSeptember 13th, 2009 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 13 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh got relief from heavy rains Sunday after it had poured continuously for more than four days.
“The hill state this (Sunday) morning got relief from heavy rains and moderate snowfall which had continued for more than 100 hours,” Shimla’s meteorological office director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
The widespread rainfall had triggered landslides, resulting in closure of link roads and national highways and damage to public and private property.
“The 475-km Manali-Leh highway was reopened for vehicles Sunday. The highway was closed at various locations, including Rohtang Pass (13,050 feet) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft), after snowfall,” said S.K. Doon, commander of General Reserve Engineering Force’s (GREF) 38 Task Force.
He said heavy vehicles would be allowed to ply on the highway soon.
Police said the Chandigarh-Manali national highway was also reopened for traffic. It was closed at various stretches between Bilaspur and Mandi towns.
Interestingly, the state still has received 33 percent deficit rainfall so far this season.
According to the meteorological office, the deficiency in the cumulative rainfall from June 1 to Sep 12 is still 33 percent in the state.
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Snow, rain bring on cold wave in Himachal - Nov 15, 2009
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway likely to reopen Saturday - Jun 04, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Don't travel on Manali-Leh highway after October - Oct 07, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopened, 282 people rescued (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Snowfall in high hills of Himachal Pradesh - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: bilaspur, chandigarh, closure, cumulative rainfall, doon, heavy rains, heavy vehicles, landslides, link roads, manali, mandi, manmohan, manmohan singh, meteorological office, national highways, office director, private property, snowfall, stretches, sunday morning