Himachal gets relief from heavy rainfall (Lead)September 23rd, 2010 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 23 (IANS) After two days of moderate to heavy showers which led to snapping of road links following landslides, the hills of Himachal Pradesh saw subdued rainfall activity Thursday, weather officials said.
Most of the rivers that were in spate till Wednesday saw a decline in water levels.
“There were reports of scanty rainfall in state Thursday. Weather conditions are likely to remain the same in the state in the next 24 hours (Friday),” Met Office director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
Shimla got 84.2 mm of rain from 8.30 a.m. Wednesday till 8.30 a.m. Thursday, Nahan town in Sirmaur district 53.6 mm, and Sundernagar in Mandi district 32 mm, Kalpa in Kinnaur district 21 mm and Dharamsala in Kangra district 6.4 mm.
Most of the rivers in the state were in spate following continuous rainfall. Incessant rains had also caused massive landslides on National Highways 21 and 22 in Shimla, Kinnaur, Mandi and Kullu districts, hampering vehicular traffic.
A government spokesperson said that as rainfall subdued, the water level in the Satluj, the Beas and the Yamuna rivers and their tributaries receded as compared to Wednesday.
Meanwhile, over 80 tourists, including foreigners, are still stranded in the Sangla Valley in Kinnaur district.
“Nearly 50 tourists from Kolkata, five from France, 11 from Germany and the rest from other countries are stranded in and around Sangla village for the past few days due to massive landslides on the road linking the village,” Kinnaur Deputy Commissioner Mamta Chaudhary said.
She said road-clearing operation was on but it would take some time to clear the landslides.
- Some Himachal places may get heavy rains again - Sep 23, 2010
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Bright sunny day in Himachal - Sep 24, 2010
- Himachal towns lashed by heavy rains - Jun 30, 2011
- Tourists from Kolkata stranded in Himachal - Sep 21, 2010
- Himachal may see heavy rains, rivers in spate - Aug 19, 2012
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal rivers in spate, may spell trouble for Punjab, Haryana - Sep 22, 2010
- Heavy rain to continue in Himachal - Aug 26, 2012
- Himachal gets season's first snow amid rains (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Kolkata tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 02, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 07, 2010
- Heavy rains in Himachal, more in store - Sep 18, 2012
- 80 tourists still stranded in Himachal district - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: beas, dharamsala, district 6, government spokesperson, incessant rains, kalpa, kangra district, kinnaur district, kullu, mamta, mandi district, manmohan singh, massive landslides, nahan, national highways, office director, vehicular traffic, weather conditions, weather officials, yamuna rivers