Highway authority allowed to clear forest for bypassJuly 18th, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 18 (IANS) Traffic snarls on the Himachal Pradesh-Haryana border may ease soon, as the environment ministry has given its nod to the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to cut down 12 hectares of forests for an 11-km-long bypass. Work on the Parwanoo-Pinjore bypass can now begin this September, Himachal Pradesh officials told IANS Friday.
The bypass will be completed within two years, the officials said.
The new road link will start from Timber Trail hotel in Himachal Pradesh’s Parwanoo and end near Yadvendra Gardens at Pinjore in Haryana.
It will skip Kalka town in Haryana, the main traffic bottleneck on the road.
At present, the bumpy and uncomfortable drive through a narrow road from Parwanoo to Pinjore via Kalka is a motorist’s nightmare.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal has proposed a six-lane expressway between Shimla and Parwanoo.
At a recent meeting, officials of the NHAI had proposed four-laning the entire road but Dhumal insisted that it should be made a six-lane highway.
The volume of traffic on the Shimla-Parwanoo highway is estimated to be around 23,000 vehicles per day.
- Himachal-Haryana bypass opens for motorists - Apr 06, 2012
- Himachal-Haryana bypass to be ready by December - Jul 07, 2011
- On highway to Shimla? Be ready for rough ride - Aug 16, 2010
- Four-laning of Shimla-Pathankot highway gets nod - Sep 03, 2012
- India's first RFID technology toll comes up near Chandigarh - Apr 19, 2012
- Kalka-Shimla national highway to be four-laned: Dhumal - Feb 17, 2009
- Ramky Infra bags two road projects worth Rs.2,240.65 crore - Dec 01, 2011
- Centre okays four-laning of Himachal highway - Oct 02, 2009
- Transfer Punjab power plant to Himachal, demands Dhumal - Jul 13, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Haryana keen to develop hydropower with Himachal - Jun 22, 2011
- Highway to Shimla reopened after demolitions at Kalka - Mar 19, 2009
- Shimla highway blocked for demolitions at Kalka - Mar 17, 2009
- Mumbai-based toll operator bags NHAI contract for toll collection - May 17, 2011
- IVRCL Group bags orders worth Rs.4,081 crore - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: chief minister, forests, hectares, himachal pradesh, hotel in himachal, lane expressway, national highway authority of india, nhai, nightmare, nod, timber trail, traffic bottleneck, traffic snarls