Hen sits on wrong nest, hatches ducklingsApril 4th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 4 (IANS) This Broody hen in Britain has hatched a clutch of ducklings after she nested over the eggs apparently unaware that they had been laid by a duck.
Philip Palmer, owner of the farm near Poole, Dorset, was also none the wiser as Hilda, the hen, barely left the duck eggs alone until they hatched after 28 days, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
It would seem that the only time Hilda will realise the difference is when her brood waddle down to the pond and float - something chickens just can’t do.
- Endangered Himachal pheasant species breeds again - Jul 04, 2012
- Mums favour their largest offspring, claims study on American coots - Nov 01, 2009
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Chicks can be 'woken' up inside eggs - May 04, 2012
- Twin ducklings hatch from same egg - Oct 26, 2009
- Meet the Aussie cat that thinks he's a chicken! - Feb 22, 2010
- Starving hens to hasten molting is now an offence - Mar 11, 2011
- Bald eagle's nest being watched by cam in Decorah, Iowa - Apr 06, 2011
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Mother duck lays eggs at 'Chick-fil-A' drive-thru - Apr 08, 2011
- Waiting for Sultanpur's winged visitors! - Sep 11, 2012
- Dalai Lama speaks out against caging egg-laying hens (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Animals in confined shelters harm human health - Jan 11, 2012
- Confining egg-laying hens in cages cruel: Dalai Lama - Sep 01, 2010
- Chicken lays double-yolked eggs in China - Jun 19, 2011