Heavy Snowfall Forces Temporary Closure Of Gatwick AirportDecember 3rd, 2010 - 12:42 am ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The inclement weather in several parts of Europe and UK is taking the toll on the travelers. Gatwick which is rated as the second busiest British airport has been closed down for some time, putting the fliers at unease. The snowfall shows no sign of receding and the strong winds have made things worse for everyone. Eurostar - the famous intercontinental fast train transit has also come down on its knee because of heavy snowfall in both UK and France as it has been reported. The Gatwick airport officials have reported that a lot of cleaning staffs have been deployed but the heavy snowfall is making the runway unusable. The airport has been hit badly by the snowfall and the authorities have no choice other than canceling all flights till tomorrow despite the trouble of the fliers.
The Gatwick airport officials however said that they are making their best efforts to ensure that the stranded fliers are not inconvenienced. Some of the stranded passengers have been provided with temporary accommodation in places adjacent to the airport. Others have been provided with transport so that they can return to their homes. Since the snowfall is disrupting every mode of communication and transport the commuters are finding it very hard to reach their destination in time.
Gatwick has canceled 600 of its flights so far. The website of Gatwick has also alerted the fliers for checking in with their individual airlines before coming to the airport. It goes “Due to the current weather conditions, departing and arriving flights at Gatwick will be severely disrupted.” However, the customer as always are at the receiving end.
- London flights cancelled due to snow - Dec 19, 2010
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Weather Condition Worsens British Airways' Flight Status - Dec 21, 2010
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- Heavy snowfall disrupts northern Europe's airports and roads - Dec 01, 2010
- Minneapolis Airport Closed After Blizzard Onslaught - Dec 12, 2010
- Kingfisher cancels London-New Delhi flight - Dec 20, 2010
- Airlines warn against travel to snowed-in Britain - Dec 20, 2010
- Heathrow Airport Cancels Fliights As Heavy Snowfall Throwns U.K. Out Of Gear - Dec 19, 2010
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Big freeze: Christmas travel plans in chaos - Dec 18, 2010
- European airports struggle to clear flight backlog - Dec 22, 2010
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: airlines, airport officials, arriving flights, authorities, best efforts, closure, commuters, current weather conditions, europe, fliers, gatwick airport, heavy snowfall, inclement weather, ranjan, staffs, strong winds, temporary accommodation, train, travelers, unease