Heavy snow disrupts traffic on China-Nepal highwayFebruary 9th, 2012 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 9 (IANS) Heavy snow Thursday halted traffic on a section of the China-Nepal highway, which links southwest China’s Tibet autonomous region and Nepal, said traffic officials.
According Zhao Chun, in charge of road maintenance work in Nyalam county, the section of the road, connecting the Nyalam county and Zhangmu township and located along the border between the two countries, was blanketed by up to two metres of snow.
It will take five days to clear the deep snow and resume traffic on the road, said Zhao, adding that clean-up efforts have been impeded by gales and low temperatures.
A snowstorm hit the county early Wednesday, bringing gales with speeds of up to 38 metres per second, said Dorji, director of the county’s meteorological bureau.
Snow fall continued in the county Thursday. It is expected to lead to a temperature drop of 10 degrees Celsius, according to a forecast issued by regional weather authorities.
Meanwhile, a total of 55 people stranded on China’s Xinjiang-Tibet highway since Tuesday following heavy snowfall have been rescued, a rescue team official said Thursday.
The highway is a major transport route linking Tibet to other parts of the country.
- 55 rescued from snow-hit Tibet highway - Feb 09, 2012
- Through mountain of snow, they open road to Lahaul (Feature with image) - Apr 27, 2012
- One dead, 200 drivers trapped in Greece car crash - Dec 24, 2011
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Dec 30, 2010
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10 - Feb 10, 2011
- 1,000 herdsmen trapped in Inner Mongolia's snowstorm - Nov 27, 2010
- Landslides kill four, snap links to Sikkim - Jun 17, 2011
- 18 die as coach plunges into gorge in China - Mar 11, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
- Day 3: 2,500 train passengers still stranded in Assam - Jun 28, 2012
- A day of rain, snow in northern India - Jan 06, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: authorities, beijing, deep snow, heavy snow, heavy snowfall, maintenance work, meteorological bureau, nepal, regional weather, road maintenance, snow fall, snowstorm, southwest china, temperature drop, temperatures, tibet autonomous region, traffic officials, transport route, xinjiang