Heavy showers lash Taj cityAugust 6th, 2012 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Aug 6 (IANS) After several dry days, the Taj city Monday had three spells of heavy showers that flooded low-lying areas and caused traffic jams at busy intersections. The weather office has forecast more rains for coming days.
“The wet spell could last another two days,” according to weather office.
The current wet spell could salvage much of the coarse grain crops in the district, said Ravi Singh, a farmer.
The Yamuna, still largely dry, is expected to rise by a foot in the next two days as copious quantities of water have been released from upstream barrages, according to Agra Water Works officials.
The forest department was particularly alarmed with the dry spell continuing this year since the sapling plantation had seen a vigorous momentum due to involvement of NGOs.
“We have planted thousands of saplings all along the Yamuna Kinara road and their growth is pretty good so far,” said Divisional Forest Officer N.K. Janoo.
- Rains boost Agra's green cover - Sep 02, 2012
- Yamuna, Chambal rivers in spate - Aug 25, 2012
- Through ponds, Agra to clean up Yamuna river - Jun 27, 2011
- Fire in Uttar Pradesh forest, no casualties - Jan 31, 2012
- Agra begins to breathe easy, but clouds linger - Jun 13, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh plans ponds for animals along highway - Jan 02, 2011
- Yamuna clean-up operation begins in Taj city - Apr 20, 2012
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
- Agra finally gets rains - Jul 26, 2012
- Three killed in lightning strike in Agra, Yamuna flooded - Aug 30, 2012
- UP plans big push for tourism in Taj city - May 03, 2012
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger mark in Agra - Sep 28, 2010
- Yamuna rise has Agra residents in panic - Sep 10, 2010
- From wasteland, Taj Corridor to become Agra's green lung (With image) - Jun 18, 2012
- Hundreds of sadhus march to Delhi for clean Yamuna - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: barrages, coarse grain, copious quantities, dry spell, forest department, forest officer, grain crops, intersections, janoo, momentum, ngos, ravi singh, salvage, sapling, showers, spells, traffic jams, weather office, yamuna