Heavy showers lash Delhi Tuesday nightJune 15th, 2011 - 5:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) Heavy showers lashed Delhi late Tuesday night, sending the temperature plummeting and providing people a respite from the heat. Rain is also likely Wednesday, the weatherman said but denied these were pre-monsoon showers.
A total of 38.6 mm rain was recorded in the showers which began around 10.30 p.m. and lasted almost till midnight, an India Meteorological Department official said.
The rain brought the temperature to 24.4 degrees Celsius, the official added.
Tuesday was a hot day with the maximum temperature at 41.8 degrees Celsius, three above the average. The minimum temperature was also two notches above average at 30 degrees Celsius.
The sudden rain caught commuters unaware and there were eye-witness accounts of water-logging at several places in south, central and east Delhi.
According to Vinay Thukral, who left his south Delhi office for his east Delhi home late Tuesday night, there were pools of water at several places en route, included the elevated Barapullah road, and some cars had also broken down in the sudden downpour.
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Warm and humid day in Delhi, rain likely (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Breezy morning gives Delhiites some respite - Jul 04, 2012
- Cloudy day, rains expected late in night (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Rains bring respite for Delhi - Jun 15, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Week starts on scorching note for Delhi (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi may get pre-monsoon showers Thursday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Cool day for Delhi, showers expected - Jul 08, 2012
- Heavy showers lash capital, traffic affected (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Sultry Saturday in Delhi, rains likely Sunday (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Delhi has hot Tuesday, rain likely - Jul 03, 2012
- Breezy morning in Delhi, rain likely - May 20, 2011
Tags: cars, commuters, delhi office, east delhi, eye witness accounts, hot day, india meteorological department, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monsoon showers, New Delhi, notches, pools of water, respite from, south delhi, sudden downpour, sudden rain, tuesday night, water logging, weatherman